Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Weather / Re: Hurricane Irma - Keep an Eye on it's path.
« Last post by vmmi on September 10, 2017, 07:47:14 pm »
Still have not been able to get through to family in Esmeralda, small town just south east of Moron. No phone or cell contact, no pictures/ video/youtube  that I can find, nothing, we are worried...
« Last post by corazon on September 10, 2017, 07:01:20 pm »
Canadian gov't is reporting that all airports in Cuba are closed, no details on reopening. Interesting because it looks like there are still flights scheduled. Anyone else have different info?
« Last post by Diamondeyes490 on September 10, 2017, 06:46:14 pm »
Vinales.... Other than some rain..... Nothing happened. PDR was spared.

I know. I called my husband probably every 3 hours during the storm to see how it was. It rained a lot but no strong winds. Not sure why the power's not back.
« Last post by flacita on September 10, 2017, 06:41:18 pm »
My bf said earlier that there was a lot of damage in Varadero but getting back to normality now. I am due to fly there Thursday from UK. Not feeling as optimistic as he is right now but happy he is safe.

Canadian gov't is reporting that all airports in Cuba are closed, no details on reopening. Interesting because it looks like there are still flights scheduled. Anyone else have different info?
« Last post by greslogo on September 10, 2017, 06:03:29 pm »
Vinales.... Other than some rain..... Nothing happened. PDR was spared.
« Last post by Diamondeyes490 on September 10, 2017, 05:55:49 pm »
They just passed the 24-hour mark without power in ViƱales.
« Last post by ayepapi100 on September 10, 2017, 05:38:26 pm »
The intersection of Consulado and Trocadero is up the hill somewhat, just off the Prado, so I rather doubt that intersection would be flooded.  MAYBE the basement, but  I do not know that 'hood very well.
« Last post by flacita on September 10, 2017, 05:32:29 pm »
Does anyone get a sense from all the reports just how far the water goes into Havana near the prado? When I stayed there last I was on Consulado between Colon and Trocadero... some very lovely women ran the casa. It looks so close to the malecon on the map, I can't imagine their building was spared.
« Last post by ayepapi100 on September 10, 2017, 04:45:50 pm »
It looks like parts of Havana got a bit wet..

Does anybody recognize their Cuban friends?

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/world/video-cubans-wade-boat-through-downtown-havana/video9274c01f-c987-4808-9c3c-8129e8dd8fc7/

Is that a looting of an El Rapido in progress, at 53 seconds ?  the guy is making off with twinkies and two bottles of booze.   :error: :resigned: :resigned:
« Last post by gallofino on September 10, 2017, 04:33:00 pm »
I'm sure he will in the coming days.  I think it's too early to give specifics until they can completely assess what's needed.

I was talking with my wife about this a few days ago.  With the amount of aid that Texas, the rest of the Caribbean including Cuba and now Florida will need, donation fatigue will inevitably set in and become an issue, so any help will be good. 

On the other hand, that is where exists massive corruption.  As in You get XXX amount of dollars for aid but can only spend it with a specified handful of companies, which in turn give kickbacks all down the line, artificially inflating the cost of goods up to a factor of 10 times the actual value.

And to be clear, this practice exists just about everywhere in the Caribbean, not just in Cuba. 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10