Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Weather / Re: Hurricane Irma - Keep an Eye on it's path.
« Last post by wolfcub on September 10, 2017, 03:39:49 pm »
But he hasn't said what form of help or how much $$$$

I'm sure he will in the coming days.  I think it's too early to give specifics until they can completely assess what's needed.
« Last post by greslogo on September 10, 2017, 02:58:02 pm »
To clarify..... These are independent brigades, cooperatives, not government, which I was referring to.

Of course, if you are poor, you are not in a position to hire them but not everybody is poor.

I completely forgot Cuba gets hurricanes... Surprising since i have been in Cuba for 2 of them.

Adding hurricane proof to my criteria for buying a house in Cuba. Primarily, not too near a coast. Winds we can deal with, flooding, no.

Granma.cu had posted quite a few pictures of Havana and west... In the last few hours.

Playa Baracoa, a place of interest in our house hunt.... Not sure now if it is prudent to buy there, based on the pictures.
« Last post by Muzungo on September 10, 2017, 02:54:41 pm »

Not yet, but when he does, we'll hear him tooting his own horn from here.
« Last post by quepasa on September 10, 2017, 02:51:32 pm »
Ya, and they just passed a law where construction brigades cannot work outside their province nor hire licensed tradesmen. Duhhh.

The government hasn't fulfilled their promise of building xx,xxx houses every year since the last major hurricane. Now this?

The positive that may come of this disaster is they start loosening up....

Yes, I think they are going to make an exception now. The different provinces in Cuba always send  brigades to the more damaged places. I see that Santiago is sending brigades to Camaguey.
« Last post by greslogo on September 10, 2017, 02:49:45 pm »
« Last post by Muzungo on September 10, 2017, 02:48:30 pm »
Putin has assured Cuba that he will help with the rebuilding.
« Last post by greslogo on September 10, 2017, 02:46:19 pm »
Ya, and they just passed a law where construction brigades cannot work outside their province nor hire licensed tradesmen. Duhhh.

The government hasn't fulfilled their promise of building xx,xxx houses every year since the last major hurricane. Now this?

The positive that may come of this disaster is they start loosening up....
« Last post by quepasa on September 10, 2017, 02:39:27 pm »
Like mentioned by others I just wonder what this is going to do to Cubas fragile economy.
« Last post by greslogo on September 10, 2017, 02:27:49 pm »
Vedado, Centro and to a lesser degree, Havana Vieja in Havana, is under 5 ft of water. This, about 500 yards from the shore. Just saw a live video. Unbelievable.

Varadero got seriously whacked.
« Last post by gallofino on September 10, 2017, 02:10:09 pm »
They got a good whopping.  It slowed down and the eye entered close by. No trees left at home.  Either snapped trunks or uprooted entirely.  Plantains are expected to fall.  Al the mango, guava, avocado is gone.  That's about 5km inland so I suppose Varadero itself is in shambles.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]