Author Topic: Hurricane Irma - Keep an Eye on it's path.  (Read 17363 times)

Offline ayepapi100

Re: Hurricane Irma - Keep an Eye on it's path.
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2017, 04:01:07 pm »
According to what i see on google earth, the storm is starting to move off into the straights of Florida. It is now at 23 degrees 24 minutes NORTH, 80 degrees, 31 minutes WEST..... So perhaps Veradero will not get hit that bad and Habana won't get it too bad at all....

• Been there done that
I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen. - Ernest Hemingway

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill

Offline Mividamialma

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2017, 05:42:58 am »
http://www.cp24.com/world/cuba-surveys-toppled-houses-flooded-cities-in-wake-of-irma-1.3582934

CAIBARIEN, Cuba -- Hurricane Irma ripped roofs off houses, collapsed buildings and flooded hundreds of miles of coastline as it raked Cuba's northern coast after devastating islands the length of the Caribbean in a trail of destruction that has left 22 people dead so far.

As Irma left Cuba and directed its 130 mph (215 kph) winds toward Florida Sunday, authorities on the island were warning of staggering damage to keys along the northern coast studded with all-inclusive resorts and cities, as well as farmland in central Cuba.

There were no immediate reports of deaths in Cuba - a country that prides itself on its disaster preparedness - but authorities were trying to restore power, clear roads and warning that people should stay off the streets of Havana because flooding could continue into Monday.

Residents of "the capital should know that the flooding is going to last more than 36 hours, in other words, it is going to persist," Civil Defence Col. Luis Angel Macareno said late Saturday, adding that the waters had reach at about 2,000 feet (600 metres) into parts of Havana.

As Irma rolled in, Cuban soldiers went through coastal towns to force residents to evacuate, taking people to shelters at government buildings and schools -- and even caves.

Video images from northern and eastern Cuba showed uprooted utility poles and signs, many downed trees and extensive damage to roofs. Witnesses said a provincial museum near the eye of the storm was in ruins. And authorities in the city of Santa Clara said 39 buildings collapsed.

More than 5,000 tourists were evacuated from the keys off Cuba's north-central coast, where the government has built dozens of resorts in recent years.

Civil Defence official Gregorio Torres said authorities were trying to tally the extent of the damage in eastern Cuba, home to hundreds of rural communities.

• Residing in Cuba with Cuban Partner
The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. It's not about the destination, but about the journey to get there - Living in Cuba for over 4 years.

Offline Mividamialma

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2017, 05:50:48 am »
At least one bridge on a causeway to the area collapsed, and the communications tower for the keys was no longer standing.

Dozens of coastal towns were damaged, with some reports of collapsed houses, though no deaths had been reported.

"This is a beautiful town but now it is a disaster," said local resident Sandro Sanchez, 27, walking through the main square after the hurricane had passed Remedios, in Villa Clara.

Caribbean islands hammered by Hurricane Irma's wrath

Corrugated iron from roofs was strewn in the streets alongside rubble. Lampposts were bent double, plant pots smashed and the fronds of palm trees shredded.

"You can't do anything against nature," he said. "We never had a storm wreak so much damage here. This is really a mess."

On Saturday, Irma covered most of the island, the Caribbean's largest. Its force sent shockwaves and flooding inward.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/world/hurricane-irma-cuba-1.4282846

By Saturday evening, the sea had penetrated two blocks over parts of the city's historic seafront boulevard, and the waters were expected to advance farther as the surge grew. Restaurants on the seaside drive pulled down their shutters and stacked sandbags against the storm.

Still, many Cubans expressed a sense of relief after the eye of the first Category 5 storm to make landfall on the island since 1932 passed over the northern keys, just grazing the mainland with its full force.

265 Canadians have asked government for help in wake of Hurricane Irma

"Honestly, I expected worse. I thought I would come back and find the roof gone," said Yolexis Domingo, 39, using a machete to hack the branches off a tree that fell in front of his house in Caibarien. "Still, it is going to be a while before I can come back to live here. The water came up to a metre high and some of the roof flew off." 

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:58:53 am by Mividamialma »
The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. It's not about the destination, but about the journey to get there - Living in Cuba for over 4 years.

Offline Mividamialma

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2017, 05:59:52 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/world/hurricane-irma-cuba-1.4282846

In the city of Camaguey, Anaida Morales said she just been through a night from hell with her mom, stepson and husband. 

"The trees in the park in front of my house are down and others strewn all over the streets. Lots of roofs are gone and some houses collapsed. The river that runs through the city is about to flood," she said. 

"The wind roared all night and it is still strong. I couldn't sleep. I'm scared of hurricanes, and this is the worst I have been through," she said. 

Morales said she made a phone call to her daughter, who shares her name, in Florida, where millions of people were preparing for Irma's arrival. 

"I just spoke to Anaida," she said. "It is hard to believe she is getting ready to go through the same thing I just did."

Offline Mividamialma

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2017, 06:08:13 am »
Now that family has been able to get back to the farm, we sustained minimal damage...a few trees down and our windmill has suffered some damage (bent from the winds), nothing that cant be repaired in time. At least it didn't come down. Looks like we will have some clean up to do when we get there. Everyone is safe and that's what counts.

The following users thanked this post: Marguerite, greslogo, LisaH, Briggsie

Offline quepasa

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2017, 06:21:35 am »
Now that family has been able to get back to the farm, we sustained minimal damage...a few trees down and our windmill has suffered some damage (bent from the winds), nothing that cant be repaired in time. At least it didn't come down. Looks like we will have some clean up to do when we get there. Everyone is safe and that's what counts.

Much of Oriente was lucky this time.

I have read several places that Santiago is disappointed that it didn't get more water/rain  this time.
The hottest love has the coldest end. - Socrates

Offline wishbone

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2017, 08:21:58 am »
i have had emails as well from friends in holguin prov--they are safe and damages are repairable--and they are safe
  • None Yet

The following users thanked this post: flacita

Offline flacita

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2017, 08:40:54 am »
Has anyone heard anything from Varadero?
  • None Yet

CubaAmor.Org

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2017, 08:40:54 am »

Please consider a small donation to help

keep CubaAmor running.

Offline greslogo

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2017, 10:03:40 am »
Pullman Cayo Coco

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/lFlKRxWmRWQ
  • Married to Cuban and both residing outside of Cuba
Why smoke good cigars when there are great cigars
I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.

Offline C2526

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2017, 10:40:00 am »
Has anyone heard anything from Varadero?

My bf said earlier that there was a lot of damage in Varadero but getting back to normality now. I am due to fly there Thursday from UK. Not feeling as optimistic as he is right now but happy he is safe.
  • Married to Cuban in Cuba

The following users thanked this post: flacita

Offline flacita

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2017, 11:00:38 am »
Oh I'm glad to hear he's ok and things are improving. Is your BF Cuban? I was thinking of a long weekend getaway myself and was going to leave on the 14th too... probably won't now. Good luck :)
  • None Yet

Offline Aguacate

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2017, 11:12:08 am »
Lots of wind in Havana but not so much rain I was told. Some flooding near the sea as the surge came inland. No Power in Habana Vieja at least and probably over most of the city I'd guess.

In Contramaestre they've been told that they'll have at least 3 more days without power. Apart from the transmission lines being down to the north, a sub-station exploded in Santiago that caused problems there and Holguin also has problems that will take time to fix.
  • None Yet

Offline greslogo

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2017, 12:21:01 pm »
Granma is doing regular reporting on the hurricane

http://en.granma.cu/cuba/2017-09-08/minute-by-minute-hurricane-irma-in-cuba

Offline gallofino

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2017, 02:10:09 pm »
They got a good whopping.  It slowed down and the eye entered close by. No trees left at home.  Either snapped trunks or uprooted entirely.  Plantains are expected to fall.  Al the mango, guava, avocado is gone.  That's about 5km inland so I suppose Varadero itself is in shambles.
  • Been there done that

Offline greslogo

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2017, 02:27:49 pm »
Vedado, Centro and to a lesser degree, Havana Vieja in Havana, is under 5 ft of water. This, about 500 yards from the shore. Just saw a live video. Unbelievable.

Varadero got seriously whacked.